In the Apple world, there is only one app store*, and that is Apple’s app store. So for all your Apple related app needs, you need to go to the official app store. [*This is not strictly true, in the sense that you can create an app store for custom built apps].
However, that is not the case with Android. Google allows you to create your own market place for apps and quite a few companies have built and launched market places already.
So why would anyone want to launch their own market place? One common reason is so that companies can take care of enterprise app management. Check out this article for some of the reasons.
So what is enterprise app management? In the article, mobile strategy – in and out, point 2 talks about an inward looking mobile strategy where a company starts looking at how it can use the mobile platform for the benefit of the company and its employees. The discovery, deployment and management of apps required by employees to help them with their official tasks is enterprise app management.
And one good way of managing all the office-related apps on your employees’ official mobile device is to build your own enterprise app market. An enterprise app market will allow you to:
- List only apps that are pre-approved by the company
- Provide and deploy updates to all the registered devices so that all the employees have uniform access to required software.
- Block phones and apps in case of loss of device.
- Automatically uninstall apps that are no longer part of the authorized list
- Manage app licenses – so that 3rd party apps can be purchased in bulk and deployed exactly where required.
Enterprise app management can be challenging but is something that any mid to large enterprise cannot ignore.